Thursday, April 5, 2012

Fast & Furious


Relaxing with mom after all the hard work!

Jack's labor and delivery was quite a different experience than with Sawyer's. Late, fast, and furious! He came exactly one week past his due date. On Monday morning (April 2nd) at my appointment at 9 am, I was dilated to a 3+ and 90% effaced...some progress from the week before, but I decided to go ahead and have my midwife strip my membranes. After my appointment I put some hot packs (really just hand warmers) on my chest and set out on a brisk hour long walk with Abbie, Alethea, Sawyer and Sadie. The walk wore me out and I relaxed for most of the afternoon and decided to try and take a nap around 4 p.m. and that is when I started timing my contractions. They were consistently 5 minutes apart, lasting about a minute long. They were painful enough to keep me from napping, but nothing to get too excited about. Around 6 p.m. everyone headed out to Joe and Sara's for a movie night. I remember being VERY irritable in the car. Every little bump we'd hit would make me really mad, haha. Anyway, they were watching The Muppets. Sawyer LOVED it and would dance to every song. I didn't actually get to see this in person as I only made it to her front room on the recliner. While there I ate a small bowl of soup and kept sipping on water. My contractions were staying steady and getting more painful. Around 7:00 p.m. they started getting to be more around 3 - 4 minutes apart and definitely more intense. I told George maybe we should think about going to the hospital. I kept remembering being at the hospital for 16 hours before Sawyer was born and didn't want to wait around forever again. After a blessing, we headed back to our house to get our bags and go to the hospital. En route I decided maybe we should just go straight to the hospital. We got to the hospital just before 8 p.m. Contractions were intense and painful, and when the nurse checked me I was at a 9! I was so excited and surprised. By that point though I was still remembering having to push 3 hours with Sawyer so I still wasn't sure I was really that close. The nurse started scurrying around like crazy getting everything ready and she said I'd be having a baby within minutes, ahh! Laurie Hansen, my midwife, rushed to the hospital and luckily made it in time. There was no time to even put in an IV, which I was happy about. Meanwhile we had called my sisters to go to the house to get my bags. Then we called them back and said forget about it, and to just come to the hospital or else they would miss the birth. Abbie had flown down from Alaska early (and had to wait around for an extra week!) so she could be here for the birth. Everything happened so fast I didn't feel ready to push out this baby and was kind of 'shy' about getting the job done. With some help and focus from Laurie, George, and my family we were able to get the job done. I remember hearing, 'Keep your chin tucked' and 'Relax' and 'Let your body open up'. At 8:24 p.m. I was able to naturally push out our beautiful 9 lbs. 6 oz. 20.5 inch long baby boy, Jack. My water broke right before Jack came out. Everything about this labor and delivery was a rush! After his head was out, he had his hand up by his shoulder, making him even 'wider', but Laurie was able to do her thing and he came out fine and I didn't even tear this time. The recovery seems to be much quicker this time around. The swelling is way less and I feel so good! It was a relief to be done so quickly and I was still in shock that it all had happened so fast. My body was in shock too as my legs/lower body kept shaking off and on. I sure was glad we decided to go to the hospital instead of going home to get our bags! As with Sawyer, I loved that they delivered Jack right to my chest and we got to snuggle a good long while before having to do anything else. He latched right on and nursed for an hour. He seemed so big! And I guess he was :) I wanted him to come in March and stay under 9 lbs, but obviously he had his own plans. Haha. It's so fun to have a newborn babe. I love snuggling him and am so excited to get to know him more and more. We are one blessed family!

Sigh of relief...he is here and all is well!


Love the nakey buns! Look how big this boy is! I still can't believe he was inside of me. It's soooo nice to have him on the outside now.

The stellar papa and new son. As usual, George was amazing during all the craziness. I LOVE this photo. George is sporting the best smile and looks so happy :)


Sawyer meeting his baby brother for the first time. He was very sweet and gentle with him. He 'palmed' his head (in a gentle way) and gave him some nice love pats.


My boys :)


Just after Jack was born - my sisters requested I do a modeling pose, haha. It's amazing how 'fresh' I look for right after delivering a 9 lb baby naturally. I guess that's what happens when you only have a 4.5 hour labor/delivery!


And here is the gang at the hospital!

8 comments:

Writing Group Blog said...

I love, love, love everything about this! That first picture is the best. You just look so stunning, and that baby loves you so much. Yay new babies! You are seriously amazing!

Anonymous said...

Liz, I cannot believe that baby was inside your belly, he's huuuuge! Oh boy, gettin' me a little nervous, myself. Congratulations! You guys look beautiful. -Laris

melissa said...

Liz, you are gorgeous! I just love your little family, and I'm so happy for you guys!

Aly said...

This sounds more like the Liz I know! I was a little worried about you on Sunday. You just needed that big boy out of your belly! He's perfect. Good work my friend!

Vernice said...

Thanks for sharing your sweet story. I always love to read birth stories. I love to see pictures of your little family. Glad that all is well and recovery was speedy. Yay for your midwife and no tears. You look beautiful as always.

Morgiana said...

I love it!!! Way to get 'er done!!! Hopefully we can meet this little guy before too much time passes - I was going to say before he gets too big, but he's pretty big already!:)

Karen said...

You were made to be a Mama! Not many women could deliver a 9+ lb baby with relative ease! He is so big and beautiful and healthy! Conrats Lizi, George, and Sawyer! We love you!

Karen, Chuck, Riley and Viola (aka little Ms Chickenpox)

analee hirschi said...

congratulations!!! I am so glad everything went so well and so quickly. He is adorable!!