Monday, January 31, 2011

Our Family in Washington

We spent a great week in the Seattle area visiting George's parents and two of his brother's and their families. It has been WAY too long since we've gotten together. In fact it was before George and I were married that we'd seen most of them. Thanks to all for taking off work, making long drives with lots of little people, and feeding and entertaining us. We got to meet a new nephew and niece and introduce Sawyer for the first time to everyone! It really was a fabulous visit.

Grandpa & Grandma Bates meeting Sawyer for the first time.

Cousins setting sail at ages 3, 14, and 15-months-old :)

Proud papas and their babies.
George & Sawyer, David & Heidi, Rodney & Owen

Amazing Grandma Bates has made quilts for all of her grandchildren! Above are the latest 3.

Grandpa reading to Owen and Elissa.

Bonding with our Canadian nieces and nephew.

We took Sawyer swimming for the first time. He wasn't sure what to think of the big cold bath tub, but I think he kind of enjoyed it.

Ashton loved to rock Sawyer to sleep :)

So did Natalia, but she also found time to be my resident hair dresser every day...gotta love the side pony tail. Thanks Natalia!

Owen has the cutest smile and doesn't hesitate to flash it around :)

Sawyer got lots of snuggles from his cousins.

Natalia and Elissa, such beauties!

Skipping rocks on the Skykomish River.
George claims that his brother, David, is his only legitimate rock skipping competitor, what a compliment :)

The cute little people.

Sawyer was a great little traveller - he got upset when we landed in Seattle, but the descent was rapid and I think his ears were bothering him. He continued to sleep through the night, although with the time change he woke up early each morning. We had fun taking pictures while dad wasn't even aware :) Just looking at his cute little face in this picture makes me want to sneak in to his crib and give him a smooch right now!

Grandma and Sawyer hanging out.

Grandma and the kiddies making ice cream in the ball!

The Wii was very popular. We played rockband and tennis and went golfing and bowling too. Grandpa wants to get one for their retirement years. I think he liked it :)

Heidi is motoring around like crazy. She looks so tiny, it's hard to believe such a little person can be such a whirlwind! You can tell she's a daddy's girl.


We celebrated Sammy's birthday with her on the 23rd. I made oatmeal spice cake with browned butter frosting. Sammy introduced us to a fun tradition...after she made a wish and blew out the candles, we relit one candle and each person got to say a wish for Sammy and then blow out that candle. I think I'll start doing that for birthdays from now on!
Sawyer also had his 3-month birthday while we were there...he now weighs 16 lbs 6 oz. and is 25.5 inches long. He has almost doubled his weight since birth!

Growing family one baby at a time - (left to right) Colleen, Elissa, David, Heidi, Natalia, Ashton, Rodney, Owen, Sammy, Liz, George, Sawyer, Natalie, & Bill Bates

It was a GREAT visit and I'm so happy we were able to take Sawyer and introduce him to his grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins. He loved it! There was talk about a Bates family reunion in 2012. Let's make it happen and get EVERYONE there. No doubt we are due for one, since the last one was over ten years ago. There are lots of new spouses and kids since then. Let's make it happen!

2 comments:

Aly said...

Well, I'm glad with the rapid descent that little Sawyer didn't develop the "twitch!" It looks like such a fun trip. I wish I could see your brown hair in person. Let's pick a Saturday in the next couple weeks and I'll fly down! I really like that birthday tradition, I want to do that too! Love you!

dances alone said...

ooo its so fun! you're hair is dark!! i loved the papas picture, and all the other ones too :)