Saturday, July 18, 2009

Meet Suga Booga & Ding Dong

That's Suga Booga in front and Ding Dong close behind...

I'm not sure if this much fun should be allowed in one month...it just keeps going and going, I ♥ summers! This past weekend we drove up to Wilson, Wyoming (just outside of Jackson) and visited my little sister, Alethea. She's been working on a landscaping crew up there for the past 3 summers. She lives in a van down by the river (really an airstream by a creek, but still :)

The airstream is located on her boss' property and they have a couple of goats named Suga Booga and Ding Dong. They are hilarious, and since they are 'in training' to become pack goats we got to take them for walks. Kaden and Kyson were in heaven tromping around with their 'pet goats' playing king of the mountain and climbing all over the playground toys.

Alethea's boss is married to a guy that builds his own wooden boats and does private trips down the Snake River. He offered to take us, and it was fabulous!! The boat was much more comfortable than a raft and they're designed for white water as well, although we just did a quiet section with the kidlets along. We saw 7 bald eagles and a beaver on our float trip. The boat rocked all the kids to sleep, it was wonderful!

The wooden boat designed and built by AJ

The whole gang floating down the Snake River
The boat rocked Sadie to sleep so we had to stow her in the bow
Above is Captain Cosmo

If the winters in Jackson weren't so cold and long I would love to live there...it's the most beautiful alpine climate. The smell of pines as I walked thru the forest was intoxicating, the cold lakes were refreshing, and the view of the Tetons, incredible! The only downers were the zillions of skeeters and of course the 8 hours of driving with kidlets, although they did amazingly well.

String Lake


The landscaping wheelbarrow was the perfect kid karrier!

Alethea's boss, Carol-Malia, volunteers at the Raptor Center - this owl was born with a small wing (kind of like Nemo) and is used for educational purposes.

Another great weekend, thank you Alethea. We love you!

5 comments:

Mamma Meg said...

There are a few things you should know. First, I used to have a goat named Nanny...I know, really original. She actually slept in my bed with me. What was my mom thinking??

Second, my husband grew up in Jackson, and I agree, it is soooo beautiful!

Third, I live right by Jackson and you all probably had to drive by my house to get there, so now I am crying because you didn't stop by. So mean.

Fourth, even though you are so mean, it still looks like you had a great time! Glad your summer is so much fun!

Mary Ann said...

Alethea looks great! It is good to see her! And you and all the rest of the clan. How cute is Sadie sleeping on the raft. I Also love the one of Kaden blowing the dandilion. I am so happy your summer is one great ball of fun!

Aly said...

So fun! You are a great writer too. The pines were intoxicating. I love it! And those goats are hilarious.

Amber said...

What a fun trip! Summers are the best, and I am glad that you have been able to do so many fun things!

Tracy the GREAT said...

Looks like so much fun. Jackson area is sooo great. I can't believe how big those kidos are getting!